Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Pre-op Appointment

Today I had my pre-op appointment... which was simply a quick review of what is going to happen tomorrow. By quick, I mean, 10 minutes. I'll arrive at 7am, be put to sleep at 8am, surgery will begin at 9am and finish around 10am, then I will wake up around 11am, and go home. Good news is I will be able to shower/wash my hair on saturday when I take the bandage off. Which is great because so many people said they had to wait 5 days. Other good news, my helix electrode did arrive and it will be the one he's going to put in. Upon my husband asking him about it, the surgeon declares he usually puts in the 1j because it's easy. By a surgeon saying "easy" does that equal "less chance of a malpractice suit?" Or less complications. Maybe it even means faster. Whatever; I don't know why they wouldn't just put in the BEST electrode to begin with. If half these people were aware there was a better one that they had to request, they'd probably request it.

Well, more to post tomorrow, if I'm well enough to get online. Or simply soon. So happy to get this surgery over with tomorrow.

Oh, and my husband came up with the genius idea of posting about his point of view after my surgery. Which I suppose is the same as with parents posting about their kids getting the CI, but either way, he may be making a few contributions in here soon about his perspective. So far, he's mostly just scared about me getting this surgery. For the same reasons most people are. It's amazing that I'm the least scared of anyone I know- I never think bad things are going to happen. I mean, they COULD, but it seems in my life, if I can imagine the bad thing, the bad thing isn't going to come true. Therefore, the good and sometimes unexpected side is going to happen. Tada. I hope nothing bad happens though because he's already mentioned he'll feel guilty by feeling like it's his fault. :-(

Of course, nothing bad is going to happen though. :-)
Enhanced by Zemanta

1 comment:

  1. You'll do just fine; and we're taking bets now whether you'll be logging in to the weekly Hearing Journey roundtable chat. [If you're really good, you'll send a Facebook update from the recovery room!]

    Make sure the HiRes 90k is implant booted up and the Electric Field Imaging (EFI) is run while you're in the OR. Also, be sure you get post-surgical imaging -- Best in the OR but doubtful -- within a day or two, so if there's a positioning problem, or a kinked (or worse, folded) electrode, it can be fixed before the tissue growth starts.~

    ReplyDelete

  © Blogger template 'Isolation' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP