Wednesday, September 22, 2010

6 Days Later

As you may have read in my last post on day 3, I was doing better. I was eating, watching tv, on the computer, drinking water, taking naps... overall, more alive than I was the previous 2 days. But then that night, after eating a nice plate of leftover chinese food and drinking 2 glasses of water (I mention this so you don't think I was actually starving myself like people are thinking), I went to bed about 3 hours later. 10 minutes into watching tv in bed in an upright position, I began to get really nauseous so I went to sleep. I figured the sleep would make the nausea go away like it did the previous 2 days...and frankly any other time of my life, but it didn't. I just got even more nauseous and developed a migraine. For nearly 40 hours total, I was stuck in bed, with my head on my left side, because trying to lift it felt even worse. Lifting my head brought on that feeling that screams "lay the heck back down!" because I've had it several times in the past, and it resulted in me fainting or crawling back into bed to sleep it off.

About 14 hours after it started, my husband got a hold of my surgeon (after 4 hours) and the surgeon wanted me to go see him. He wanted me to get out of bed, in a car, sit there for 40 minutes, and walk to his office for him to check on me. It was literally impossible for me to do that at that point. My husband called 30 minutes after that to cancel the appointment, but the office was on lunch. He left a message, but apparently my surgeon never got the message and waited an hour for me to show up. And was upset about it.

I should mention I couldn't even get up to pee. I was peeing in a bucket over the side of the bed while keeping my head flat, every 2 hours. Seriously, it was pretty bad. We contemplated what to do for an entire day... go to ER, wait it out, or what? We didn't feel it was serious enough for ER, so we didn't bother (or frankly, I just need a PUSH to go to the ER cause I'll never on my own, but my husband was thinking too much like me). I attempted to get up at one point because I thought, "well maybe my body wants me to puke...", so yup, I puked. Then felt worse. Back to bed. Then took some over the counter motion sickness medicine which didn't seem to work at first, but certainly put me to sleep, and 12 hours later, I was able to get out of bed for 2 hours, even though I was still nauseous and dizzy, but it seemed like some improvement. Until I puked again. And oddly, both times I puked was right after I took a Tylenol. At that point, I was OK enough to walk around, and we went to Urgent Care. The doctor confirms ketones in my urine and that I'm severely dehydrated. She also thought I might have a bladder infection because of my peeing so much on so little fluids. My right eardrum was red and she attempted to get a hold of my surgeon to confirm if it is normal or not, but he didn't answer.

We went home, I took my anti-nausea pill she gave me, and was sipping fluids as much as I could handle. I downed one glass of water, and one glass of gatorade. Ate a strawberry popsicle, some graham crackers and chinese food. Didn't puke. Good news. Went to bed just a little bit dizzy and woke up feeling as normal as I could feel today. Just a fullness feeling in my right ear/side of head, and a little bit of dizzyness. My surgeon called this morning to confirm about my red eardrum, and says it is a normal, but also sounded upset (according to my husband) that I went to a different doctor instead of seeing him on monday.

Overall, the experience was ridiculous and I never want to experience it again. I can't figure out where the dehydration decided to kick in, cause like I said, I was eating and drinking the day before it all started when I went to bed. Which was making me wonder if I was having a digestive problem rather. So, I don't know, but I'm just gonna keep drinking and eating and hope it doesn't come back. I'm due for my post-op appt Oct 1, but trying to get that shifted so my husband can go with me.
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template 'Isolation' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP