Monday, November 8, 2010

Hearing exercises

I went into the Hearing Journey Listening Room tonight to finally check it out. I downloaded the CLIX program and played around with it for the past hour. First starting with 'suprasegmentals' (whatever that is) and passing it easily because it was kinda retarded. Giving me the option between things like "eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee" and "ba." The next level on different syllables was also pretty easy to the point I just had to quit and move on to the next level of different consonants/vowels. Now this level is where I starting making mistakes. Out of 100, I got 85 correct. But I was mishearing things like catch vs pass, jake vs gift and ring vs joke. The last one is totally amusing me because how in the world does RING and JOKE sound alike? I can't tell them apart with the CI, but if I say them right now they definitely do not sound alike. I would assume this means my CI needs some tweaking somewhere if I can't tell a strong O apart from an EE.

Also, according to this site (click site), I need to have my electrodes adjusted so my frequencies will be of equal volumes. There is a calibration test of 16 beep frequencies, and half of them sound too low to me, with the last four frequencies ranging from 3022-6665 seeming like I will have issues tolerating them at a higher volume. They're not loud at this moment, but they have that high frequency pitch as if cymbals are going off next to you. And how many people like to hear cymbals? Ya.

Either way, tomorrow is my 3rd mapping that I was suppose to have last thursday, but came down with a short cold and had to reschedule.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for that link - very informative! I'm in the same boat as you - higher frequencies def need adjustment...

    ReplyDelete

  © Blogger template 'Isolation' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP