Wednesday, November 24, 2010

AB Recalls HiRes 90k Implant

A few days ago, Advanced Bionics recalled its HiRes 90k implant... the same one I specifically asked for 2 months ago. It is stated that two people came forward about having severe pain, shocks and extreme sensitivity to sounds within 8-10 days of activation and had to have it removed. The cause of this is unknown however, and it also seems unclear of when exactly these individuals came forward, although it sounds recent. Further assuming that the potential problem may be from implants that were mailed out two weeks after mine, if not sooner.

Although I should not entirely be alarmed, I was told that 9 more people have since then come forward with the same problems stating they occurred within 3 months of activation, although there are no reliable sources about this in the news yet. In which case, if this implant is going to fail me, it'll happen within the next two months or else it'll wait a few decades to give up.

Someone that gets an implant does not ever want to read/hear about something like this happening. Especially if it's all happening around the same time frame where you could be a victim of it too. Because at this point, if this implant fails me and I have it removed, chances are I can't get a new one because it's going to be pointless because the removal of the implant will further damage all I've got left in my cochlea. Then I'd have the option of implanting the other ear instead, or accepting the reality and moving on with my life... in which case, I'd choose the latter. Either way, I 'should' be fine, but I guess it's unpredictable. If it doesn't fail for whatever the cause of the current failures, it'll fail eventually someday anyway. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template 'Isolation' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP