Monday, January 10, 2011

Sudden Vertigo and Nausea

I realize it's been a while since a post. My husband and I are in the process of a buying a house, and on top of that, I have my usual school load, which I am behind in. We also left town for a week and that put us behind a week in a lot of things. I will eventually post about my improvements during my last evaluation and audiogram testing, but by the looks of it, I will be back from yet, another, mapping by the time I post about that.

For the time being I wanted to post about my side effects. If they directly or indirectly related to the CI, I do not know yet. But I can't help but think they are.

Basically the day after we got back from a week in California, I woke up with vertigo that lead to nausea and throwing up 3x. Which of course led to not getting much food or liquids. That day was a softer version of the day after my surgery when I was stuck in bed with seriously bad vertigo for 2 days that lead to my being severely dehydrated. For the past week, I've had a little vertigo, a little nausea, and a LOT of sleep. I'm worried that any day I wake up I'm going to have another attack and it totally sucks. So I can't help but think it's related to the CI in some form or another, but I have no idea what is setting it off 3 months after my last episode.

My research shows I may have Benign Positional Vertigo, in which some calcium deposits have gotten loose and this causes vertigo when my head is in certain positions. Which completely applies to me as the vertigo sets in the most when I turn my head while laying in bed. Other than that, yesterday I was pretty normal for the first time in a week, until I was laying in bed watching tv, and it started happening again. Only this time I noticed my fist was under the back of my skull for merely 1 minute before the vertigo kicked in, so now I can't help but think I've got a blood flow problem with my brain stem. Again though, what is setting it off? The only other alternatives are basically, anything, electrolyte imbalances, dehydration, blood infections, etc., which I'm going to demand my doctor take some tests to at least eliminate them as causes on friday. If the doctor comes up stumped because she's going to automatically assume something typical, like dehydration, I'll be off to my CI doctor.

I could also mention I have had lockjaw for 2 weeks now. It is not as bad as it was a week ago, but it's not really opening all the way or being completely pain free when I eat something mildly crunchy. Again, this is another thing I can't figure out what set it off, although my dentist is assuming that if I had a tube down my throat for the surgery (3 months ago), it may have irritated my jaw and set off some inflammation. Again though, it was THREE MONTHS AGO. So ya, I'm stumped. Gotta figure out what is causing these problems all of a sudden.

If anyone else has had random episodes of vertigo and the like after surgery, please do tell me. Cause there is NOTHING about it online.

1 comment:

  1. oh geeze that is horrible! i had vertigo about 2 years ago - that was the worst thing in the world. i do not wish that upon anyone. when i got it the dr asked if i had traveled recently (to make my ears pop) apparently that is a cause of it. I stayed in the same elevation so not real sure what caused it. I had to take motion sickness pills. I couldn't move my head even the slightest bit without throwing up. For me it lasted about 3-4 days with just one day that was hell. I hope you get better ASAP

    ReplyDelete

  © Blogger template 'Isolation' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP