Saturday, May 22, 2010

Writing a book

I've been planning and slowly writing a book for the past 2 years now. And I mean slowly because I literally write an hours worth once a year. My dilemma? I don't have a direct plot yet, so trying to keep up the writing pace with a certain direction in mind is complicated. More or less, I've been writing about my hearing loss and growing up with it. But I don't want it to be another boring book about Deaf/HOH facts, because I don't know about you, but almost every book I've read about deaf culture, or a hearing loss, has been kind've boring and I just couldn't wait to finish it. In fact, I read this book called Inside Deaf Culture which really was, just 250 pages of facts about "deaf culture" and it really took me a year to finish because I didn't have the interest to read it all at once- so I read it sparingly while reading other books more.

Alas, the book by Michael Chorost, Rebuilt: How Becoming Part Computer Made Me Part Human, was actually pretty captivating. I was given this book by an ex-boyfriend who was pretty much a computer nerd and somehow owned this book. Upon finishing it, Chorost's story actually made me NOT want to get the cochlear implant. (This was 5 years ago when I wasn't even considering it, really). But he wrote about it in what felt like a negative tone- although that can be understood considering he had one of the first cochlear implant's ever invented, and we can all quite assume it must've been somewhat bizarre and crappy, as far as new technology goes. Granted, Chorost has had his implant upgraded and is probably pretty happy today with it than he was 10 years ago (or so).

Anyway, so yaaaaa. On a side note, is it really going to be worth publishing another book about receiving a cochlear implant when dozens of people in my situation are doing the same thing? It might benefit me to accomplish it because I want to and I don't know what else I'm capable of writing a book about (my creative side is complete crap, so writing fiction is nearly too complicated for me), but the publishing world is expensive and tough and in the end it may not pay off.

Anyone got a suggestion on some "direction" I could take with my book? So far, it's just stories of my childhood being hard of hearing (kind've) and continues as I grow up and eventually get the cochlear. But I feel like it's lacking.
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments:

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template 'Isolation' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP