Tuesday, May 15, 2012

AB's new processor, the Neptune

Those of you with implants already know about the release of the Neptune sound processor by Advanced Bionics earlier this year. For those of you that don't have an implant and don't keep on top of this type of information, I'll explain. The Neptune is the first ever waterproof cochlear implant device. Like hearing aids, standard CI's cannot tolerate water and moisture without getting damaged. The Neptune, however, can. This is great news for those that are avid swimmer's and will be able to embrace being able to hear while in bodies of water. Even I have to admit, it'd be nice to be able to go to the lake and still have my CI on to talk to people floating on tubes around me, instead of having to go completely deaf. The last thing I, and others, want to deal with, is possibly damaging a device worth more than 20 grand.

It would also be useful for people that exercise often. There is nothing more annoying than wearing the implant and sweating (behind my ear). Some people (even I) may go as far as snagging the ear piece into our hairbands to avoid the sweat-with-plastic contact, but of course, it's a pain in the butt. Although there are some serious pro's about the Neptune processor, it's certainly not an implant I'd be wearing all the time. It still has a wire attachment; it just attaches to your swimsuit strap, shirt strap, swimmer's cap, or whatever clip on area it can reach. If it was wireless, my goodness, it'd be a slam dunk. Although what I really dream of, is an entire processor all in one, that will only clip to my skull as one small piece of plastic. I'm sure that's everyone's dream... science hasn't gotten that far yet. But with the extreme changes we've noted in hearing aid sizes, it'll definitely happen someday!

No comments:

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template 'Isolation' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP