Monday, August 9, 2010

39 days to go

My surgery is in 39 days. Seems so close. Too close really. My husband is oddly worried about my surgery cause it seems so invasive. I'm sure I'll be fine and the surgery will go fine. I've only been put under anesthesia once before though- when I got my wisdom teeth pulled/cut out. Really, I remember that being the greatest, deepest sleep I have ever had. I felt like I was passed out for hours, but according to my mom, I was only out for 20 minutes. Bummer. If anything, the anesthesia makes the idea of surgery seem lovely, because that is one awesome drug and I won't feel a darn thing. It's not like we can impatiently count in our sleep anyway, thankfully.

I'm curious of how many of you with one implant also wear a hearing aid in the other ear. And also, is there a time when it should be worn often, if it at all matters? (IE: before the implant activation, during activation, every time, or doesn't matter). Does it make hearing things confusing by having one ear hearing extremely well compared to the ear with/without the hearing aid? I've still got to look into getting my hearing aid reprogrammed and everything. Last night, it occurred to me that with the CI, all I gotta do is put it on my head and ear and I can hear things, compared to putting it IN my ear. Which really, sounded so awesome considering how much hearing aid molds suck.

Oh, has anyone experienced the same side effects with the CI that occur with a hearing aid when you're laying your head on a pillow or your hand? Ya know... that annoying beeping sound that the other people complain about. If not, does it affect the sounds? I would assume yes since if you're laying on it you're blocking the microphone. But still, let me know.
Enhanced by Zemanta

1 comment:

  1. Hello, I am one of those cochlear implant users who has worn both together since day 1. I am not sure what the recommendations are right now but you should try your CI alone for maybe a few hours every day. CI's doesn't buzz or whistle but if you're lying down it will sound a bit crackly.

    ReplyDelete

  © Blogger template 'Isolation' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP